Salmon Dahl is another week day favourite of mine. It is cheap, easy, healthy and tastes absolutely delicious.
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1 onions
- 70g red lentils
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 1 tbspn garam masala
- 1 tspn dried chilli flakes
- Small handful of coriander (roughly chopped) plus extra for garnish
- sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of half a lemon and a few lemon slices
- salt/ black pepper
- 400ml hot chicken stock
- 1Heat 1 tbpsn olive oil in a large pan and add the onions and garlic with a pinch of salt. Cook on a gentle heat for 2 minutes and then add the tomatoes and leave for a further 2 minutes.
- 2In the meantime place the salmon in an oven dish with some lemon slices and put in a pre-heated oven at 190 C gas mark 5.
- 3Stir in the tumeric, garam masala and chilli flakes and mix well to avoid any lumps.
- 4Add the red lentils and chicken stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Then turn down to a medium heat and leave to simmer for around 20 minutes – checking and stirring occasionally.
- 5Take the pan off the heat and stir in the lemon juice, black pepper and fresh coriander. Take the salmon out of the oven, flake into smaller chunks and stir into the dahl.
- 6Garnish with fresh coriander and then serve with some naan bread or basmati rice.